life story review
A Life Story Review for your companion animal can be important as it allows you and your family to reflect on the cherished memories and experiences you have had with your beloved pet, providing closure and healing during the difficult time of loss. It reinforces your emotional connection and significance of your relationship, validates their existence and impact, and creates a meaningful legacy that can be shared with others, ensuring that the pet's memory lives on. You can create a life story or an obituary to share.
Here is a list of questions that you may want to think about and perhaps include in your pet's Life Story.
- How did your love story begin?
- How did you first meet your pet?
- Describe the first time you saw them and how you felt.
- How did they get their name? What does it mean?
- Do they have any nick names?
- What are their favorite games and toys?
- What are their favorite activities?
- What is your favorite way to spend time together?
- What are their favorite foods?
- Where do they like to sleep? Did that change over time?
- If they sleep with you, are they a snuggler under the covers or do they prefer sleeping at the edge of the bed?
- How do they let you know that they are happy?
- How do they let you know when they are not happy?
- What are the life lessons or wisdom you learned from them?
- How will you live those life lessons as you move forward?
- What has been the best thing about having them in your life?
- What is a memory that always make you laugh?
- What would your family, friends, neighbors tell us about your pet?
- What is the one thing that only you understand or appreciate about them?
- What do you want them to know?
- What is the most fun day you had together?
- Were they ever naughty in way that made you laugh?
- What trips did you make together? How do they travel?
- What is their favorite place to go?
- What was your pet like as an adolescent or youngster?
- How is your pet as an elder?
- Who will they be leaving behind?
- What are some of the moments you shared that you are most grateful for?
- Did they have a favorite time of year?
- What was your favorite part of your daily routine with your pet?
- Describe your pet’s personality, including good and bad qualities (sneaking food off counters, etc.).
- What mischief did your pet get into?
- Did they ever get lost?
- How were your last days or weeks together?
- How did you or will you spend your last day together?
- Did you have a bucket list for them? What did you complete together?
- What rituals or ceremonies will you like to offer your pet at their end of life?
This list was assembled by Dr. Ken Gorczyca, Summer Brooks and the Pet Death Doula Cafe membership.